Thursday, June 10, 2010

New Square Silk Itajime Shibori Panels

detail of Bottle Green/Ocean Blue Silk Itajime panel

I wanted to do something different from the star patterns I have been exploring lately, so I got a bit creative when clamping down the resists. I had no idea what to expect when opening up the Bottle Green / Ocean Blue piece, but I am very happy with the result, and that's half the fun of the itajime folding technique, or any tie dye technique as far as I'm concerned.

I found a 1/4" ball hem sewing machine foot at work last week in an old notions box, tried it out and have decided it might be the perfect way to finish the silk pieces and make silk scarves for my Etsy Shop (soon to come!!)   I pre-finished these two square panels (prior to folding & dying them, but I think in the future I will finish all the hems after the fact rather that before as it will allow better control of the pattern and how the look.
More work to be done over the 3 day weekend!


Bottle Green & Ocean Blue Silk Itajime Panel


detail of Purple, Blue & Teal Silk Itajime Panel


                                                     Purple, Blue & Teal Silk Itajime Panel

No comments:

Post a Comment